Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Weekend of Cooking

This past weekend I had the boys on Saturday afternoon until Sunday - this always means dinner for the family on both nights and an opportunity for me to try something new.

I like to try different recipes and Ryan is always looking to see what I will do that is different.  This weekend I wanted things that would not take a long time; but, were also somewhat simple.

Saturday I baked my cheese Danish as Callum was very upset that I did not have either the danish or the chocolate cake when he was over for Cinco de Mayo.  For dinner was a very large salad of mixed greens, spinach, cucumber, garbanzos, tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese, corn and croutons.  I then had grilled chicken breasts broiled in a garlic butter with rosemary, thyme and parsley.  Linguini in a butter and parmesan sauce and garlic bread.  Everyone enjoyed it and all got to the table on time.

Sunday was breaded pork cutlets, mashed potatoes, apple sauce and glazed carrots.  I was so pleased when Ryan went for a second helping of glazed carrots, noted that there was cinnamon in it - to which I told him I added that as the recipe didn't call for it.  Most exciting is that he wants me to make them for Thanksgiving.  And of course I baked a yellow cake with chocolate frosting for Callum.

Cooking for me is therapeutic; but, it must also be part of my ethnic genes - this need to feed others and to ensure that there was enough for them to take some home.

I know my nephew and his wife had food for them to take to work for lunch.  And I have a few more worthwhile recipes in my repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment