Saturday, December 7, 2013

Always a First Time


Somehow I was convinced by my nephew to make Puerto Rican eggnog this year, we call it coquito.

I had a recipe from my Puerto Rican cookbook and I tried it last night - it is a long process as you need to take two ripe coconuts, remove the liquid, take out the meat, grate it and then make a milk out of it.  I eventually realized that if I didn't protect my hand I would eventually have several cuts - I put my oven mitten on and things went a little easier.  The hardest part was removing the coconut meat - per the recipe I put the coconut in the oven at a low temperature.  As I was grating the coconut it dawned on me that my aunt used to place the coconut on the stove burners to loosen the meat.

Well I made the coquito according to the instructions and it is STRONG!!!  The recipe asked for 3 cups of 151 proof dark rum - to make it a little more tolerable I emptied all of the evaporated milk and another can of condensed milk, more cinnamon and some vanilla. At this point it was not bad - but I really won't know until it has chilled.

I will look for other recipes and continue trying to make it - it isn't difficult just time consuming and you have to find the right recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment