Monday, December 2, 2013

Adopt a Family



One of our charities at work during this time of year is "Adopt a Family" - each year our department adopts two families.

Yesterday I went to Kohl's and bought each child pajamas, clothes and a book.  I also bought each of the mother's pajamas, slippers and some toiletries.  I want them to open something on Christmas day and not just a gift card - I want them to know that someone thought about them and spent the time to pick out the clothes and think of what they might like.

It is unfortunate but Ryan who will be 12 in January no longer believes in Santa Claus although he realizes there was a St. Nicholas who brought gifts to children.  I tried to explain to him that Santa comes in many shapes and sizes and that for these women and their children I am Santa Claus.  Santa does not let you see him, doesn't ask for recognition and just gives from his heart.

For these families - I ask nothing of them - no acknowledgement, just enjoyment for them at this time of year - that is the spirit of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment