Monday, November 18, 2013

A Birthday Celebration



Yesterday was Gerard's 38th birthday and I thought that we could manage not having Callum get upset to go home by spending Saturday night with me.

He was ecstatic to spend the night and our outings were two trips to the grocery store and one to the bakery - we spent time playing with his trains and tickling each other.  But, he got upset to see his parents and his brother arrive and actually threw up.  So opportune time for him to take a bubble bath and put on his pajamas.  He wanted me to put mine on too; but, I let him know I couldn't as I had to cook.

A tradition in our family is to have the birthday person decide what they would like to have for their birthday dinner.  Gerard chooses the same thing, pastelon - it is like a Puerto Rican lasagna that is made with sweet plantains instead of lasaga noodles.  I made the dinner - as we were eating Callu kept asking if we could go to bed.  He calmed down a little when we got the cake and sang Happy Birthday to his father and he ate his piece of cake.

Then he told his family "good bye" in a very stern tone - he was staying and they were to leave.  This is what I was trying to avoid by having him spend Saturday night with me. Unfortunately, he went home crying and I felt bad.

I will have him for several days Thanksgiving week and I think he will be fine then - I will have him help me decorate for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment