Friday, February 28, 2014

Holy Skunk


A colleague of mine always likes to say to me that I live in the country - I am going to have to start to agree with him.

Last night I went to take out the garbage and get the mail.  I had regular garbage and some recyclables - I went to the regular garbage dumpster first, opened, the gate, lifted the lid and dropped my garbage - then closed the lid and the gate.  I then moved over to the recyclable dumpster and opened the gate and what was right there at the bottom of the dumpster but a SKUNK.  I immediately slammed the gate shut and backed away.

It was after I slammed the gate that I realized that could have been a mistake as I could have startled the skunk and had him release his scent.  I put my recyclables in the regular garbage dumpster and as I look to walk away there comes the skunk sauntering away from the dumpster.

I decided to walk slowly, quietly and stay back from him.  Needless to say it was a slow walk to the mailbox as I wanted as much space between him and myself.  It was a surprise, a close call and I walked away scent free.

No comments:

Post a Comment