Thursday, September 26, 2013

Railroad Commuting


On Wednesdays I go into our Manhattan office - I take the Metro North railroad from the train station in Peekskill and I am in Grand Central in one hour.

Metro North is the best railroad in New York if you have compare it to the others like Long Island Railroad or New Jersey transit.  It is generally on time, recovers from the tragedies quickly and is a reasonable cost.

But, this Wednesday I knew they were having problems on the New Haven line because there was a Con Edison electrical outage in the area.  What I didn't realize is that it affected my train too - not terribly, we just had to transfer from one train to another at Croton Harmon.  I still got into Grand Central in an hour.  On the way home after sitting down on the train and waiting for us to leave the station - out came the announcement that this train wasn't going anywhere and we needed to leave this train on Track 39 and get on the train on Track 37.

If that wasn't enough I spoke to my nephew last night who is a Conductor for Metro North - found out that he has 3 days off; not because of the electrical outage on the New Haven line; but, because a woman was thrown onto the tracks and hit by the train.  Good news she is alive and will probably survive.  Metro North is providing counseling for their employees.

Despite all this Metro North is an excellent commuter railroad and one that I will be using for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment