Sunday, July 3, 2011

4th of July


Tomorrow is the 4th of July – can you believe it? My life seems to be a whirlwind lately; although, don’t get me wrong I much prefer to have a lot of things to do than none at all.

I am trying to figure out a routine for my new life and I am not sure that I will be able to have it as orderly and neat as I like. For an individual like myself who is borderline OCD it is hard for me to set my routine when I am not sure what office I will be at on what days, etc. Does it keep my life fun? Absolutely, but having lost quite a bit of weight and gotten into a workout routine I am trying to figure that out with my new work life.

So far I know that I will be working from home on Fridays so I will be having an 8AM training session with my trainer, Jennifer. My Saturdays and Sundays are set with aqua aerobics and Zumba unless I am babysitting the boys like I did today. Now I need to add a couple of days during the week; I am thinking of taking Zumba on Monday evenings from 7 to 8PM as I like the instructor Liz and I can also do Zumba on Friday nights from 6 to 7PM. I am thinking of a Spinning class – I have never done it and there are two schools of thought here – people who love it and people who don’t. I do know that it can do tremendous things to change the overall appearance of your body and I wouldn’t mind losing another 10 pounds although there are people I know who will have said to me “enough already”.


But overall to give you an impression of my job – I love it!!. Everyone is nice and cordial – it is a philosophy and a behavior of the organization. I wear business clothes daily and I have to say after 2 ½ years of working in my gym clothes I enjoy getting up and putting on a business suit. I drive to work and since I have early hours (7AM to 3PM) I am out the door at 5:45 and at my desk before 7 even with stopping at a Starbucks for a Venti skim latte. I am home by 4PM with plenty of time to run errands, see the news and enjoy the evening before heading up to bed by 9:30/10PM.

What did you do this long weekend? I had/have a jam packed weekend ahead of me. Friday found me training with Jennifer, picking my car up from the body shop, food shopping for girl’s night. I had some friends from the Club (that is what we call our gym) over for tapas and sangria. Everyone made something and I provided the tapas which were: pork stuffed mushrooms, beef empanadas, shrimp scampi and lobster Cobb rolls.


Saturday I went to aqua aerobics and then did errands like the bank, cleaners, etc., I also did laundry. Sunday was my weekend day to watch the boys and I always like to put together my clothes for the entire week; this way I don’t have to think about it again. Tomorrow will be a “me” day.

Have you ever taken a “me” day? I don’t do this often – I don’t know why I guess I feel guilty treating myself in this way; however, I have two substantial gift certificates to Elizabeth Arden’s Red Door Salon so I have made an appointment for a manicure, pedicure AND a hot stone massage. I will certainly be relaxed and primp – why can’t I have a doctor’s appointment after that?!? I am sure my blood pressure would be just fine!!! It is hard for me to fit these luxury items into my life and I just decided to bite the bullet and do it.


Will I remember what this weekend is about? Absolutely. I am proud to be an American and to have the privileges and liberties that it affords me. I am aware that everyday other Americans die on my and your behalf to continue to be able to have those privileges. Are things perfect in the United States? No, they are not; we have a high unemployment rate, not everyone has access to healthcare, there is an obesity issue in this country and too much emphasis is placed on a college degree and then no work for those individuals who graduate.


Would I sometimes like this to be a simpler time – YES!!! I would like it if we once again had trade or vocational schools so that we could give as much emphasis on becoming an electrician or plumber as we do to a doctor or a lawyer. For us to have tolerance for the new immigrants to our country trying to make a better life for themselves and their families just like our ancestors did over a hundred years ago.

We as individuals have a voice in America. Utilize that voice. We are coming into the 2012 election process, just as our forefathers molded this country into what they wanted it to be and moved themselves away from tyranny so should we be telling our Congressmen and Senators what we want our country to be in the future.


Honor the 4th of July by having a voice. Then enjoy your barbecue.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty excited to celebrate this 4th of July as a citizen! I know people who don't vote, but feel the need to complain and think if you are not exercising your right to vote, you are giving up your right to complain as well.

    As for spinning...its been a while since I did it since I gave up gym access. But I totally love it! Its a serious workout and one piece of advice is go at your own pace. When you need a break take it as it really bring your heart rate up! Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete