Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pressure


Pressurewho places that on you? I have finally realized that I placed an incredible amount of pressure on myself this weekend; and, although I am happy with the end results I need to reconsider why I do this.

It officially became spring this week – into a new season and clearly the weather was cooperating. On the East Coast the weather was in the low 70’s, the sun was shining and I walked out every day without a coat. Waking up in the morning I could hear the birds chirping, there are buds on the trees and tulips, daffodils and hyacinths are all starting to peek through the ground. Okay, what was wrong with this picture? I know, I still have snowmen decorating parts of my house. Winter is over – time to change things around.

I was on a whirlwind over the last few days beginning on Thursday evening as I started to change each room into its spring regalia. It has not been easy – as I finally had to stop by the hospital emergency room on Tuesday to find out what was wrong with my left wrist – Good Newsit isn’t broken. Bad News it may just be a sprain which is just as bad. To really know what is wrong I have an orthopedist appointment tomorrow afternoon; but, in the meantime I am wearing a soft splint which does limit some mobility.

At the same time my hair is really showing its grey and I need a haircut so I scheduled an appointment for Friday. AND at 12:01AM on Friday morning we officially began our company’s “Walk to Paris” challenge and I need to walk approximately 8,000 steps a day. Could I give myself more things to do???


I got some things done on Thursday evening, including turning my mattress – not an easy feat with my wrist and the fact that it is a queen size bed. Not only did I turn it, I had to lift it so I could change the bed skirt. I also ironed the curtains for a few of the windows, and changed everything in the main bathroom. Thursday night my room, bathroom and the main bathroom all done.

Friday between work I managed to get my hair cut, colored and highlighted – back to normal. I was supposed to go to Zumba in the evening; but, I chose to stay home and change the rugs in the living and dining rooms and put up their curtains. I changed the throw pillows and went into my utility room where I got out my Easter/spring decorations and put away my winter/St. Patrick’s decorations. By the time I went to bed on Friday evening I had the powder room, living room, dining room and office all completed.

In the spare bedroom I hung up the curtains, got out the rugs; BUT, I was extremely upset. I had sent the comforter to the cleaners and upon opening it and laying it on the bed I noticed that the down is all puffy in some areas and not lying flat and even. They have ruined this comforter – I am totally BUMMED as I loved this comforter. I could do no more in this room.


Saturday morning found me off to aqua aerobics – I have had to make changes in how I take that class because of my wrist so I am extremely protective of it when we are doing arm exercises with either the buoys or the noodle. After class I had some things to donate to Goodwill; and, then I stopped at Pier 1 to see if I could find a planter my niece wanted that the two Pier 1’s by her did not have. I am in luck – they have it. I am also looking for a new comforter for the spare bedroom so I stop at Home Goods, Marshall’s, Bed, Bath and Beyond; lastly, Kohl’s. NO LUCK. When I get home I go on line and find something that I like from Bed, Bath and Beyond and order it.

Now that I am home it is time to finish the kitchen – up go the curtains, rugs and decorations. Kitchen done. I have put together all the curtains to go to the cleaners. As I relax on Saturday evening I iron my clothes for the week. Now I feel that I have accomplished a lot; but, at what cost to myself? I am having a difficult time sleeping and my left wrist continues to be quite painful when moved in and up and down motion.


Sunday – my Zumba class and I know I will pile on the steps as I “Walk to Paris”. Well we had a new instructor – she said this was a high energy class and she was not kidding. Ten minutes into class and my head is soaking wet and I am dripping. Many people are leaving as she is not really instructing us and is just looking at herself in the mirror – not sure if I am a “trooper” or an “idiot” but I stay for the entire hour. I have over 6,000 steps and I know today I will be able to make my 8,000 steps with no issues.

From the gym to the cleaners to drop off my autumn/winter cleaning and storage, grocery store and home where three loads of laundry now await me. The laundry gets done and I am able to relax for the rest of the day – of course, wouldn’t you know that the weather also got chillier and it feels more wintery than springy.

That is okay – everything is organized and the house is in shades of green, brown and lilac in some rooms. The trees are still buding, the flowers are still peeking through the grass and the birds are still chirping in the morning.

Tomorrow I will find out what is wrong with my wrist and I will deal with it; but, as stubborn as I am I will not let it hinder what I have to do – it may cause me to alter some things (after all I would like to think I have some common sense).




So, if there is pressure in your life – make sure YOU are the one imparting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment