Sunday, January 29, 2012

Don't Place Yourself on Hold


Have you ever missed out on something because you were waiting to do it with someone else? Each of you had the best intentions of getting together and due to work; life and other obligations never got together and missed what you wanted to do?

This has happened to me several times and I have decided no more putting my life “on hold” until it is good for each of us. Life is short – we saw that in last week’s blog; and, what are we waiting for to do what we enjoy in our lives.


A friend and I have been trying to get together for a couple of years now – it is not easy with her in New Jersey and me in New York each having a full time job, exercise obligations, a man in our lives and family that depends upon us. We made a decision to go see Harry Connick, Jr. in the show “On a Clear Day” – we would even be able to get discount tickets. Our plan was to go after Thanksgiving; but, before Christmas so we could enjoy New York in its holiday glory – that DIDN’T happen. Then, I recommended that we go in January – maybe the long weekend; we could do either Saturday or even Sunday because we each had Monday, Martin Luther King’s Day off. Well I didn’t hear from my friend and word was that the show was going to close.

I decided that I really wanted to see it despite the bad reviews before it closed. North Shore through Plum Benefits (a service for discount tickets to shows, restaurants and events) was offering orchestra seats for $89 – what a steal as these are the Prime Orchestra seats that go for $200 to $300. I went ahead and bought myself a ticket for the Sunday matinee and went – by MYSELF. I enjoyed the show and Mr. Connick’s performance and I could understand the reason for it not doing well. During intermission my seat mate started up a conversation regarding the performance and other shows that we had each seen and it was a very pleasant way to pass the time. “On a Clear Day” will close on January 29th and had I not taken this opportunity to go by myself I would have missed it, been upset with myself and wondered if the critics were right or not. I know my friend will not be upset that I have gone without her.


I know that many of us especially if we are single tend to wait to go to a restaurant, see a show or travel to a city or country until someone can come with us. That is common because we feel more comfortable sharing the experience with another individual; also, face it – how many of us like to eat at a nice restaurant alone??? Many times a woman alone in a restaurant is not seated in a nice location, may not get good service or could feel as if they are being stared at. BUT, hey I am at an age and am confident and comfortable enough with myself that I can say to the maitre’d that I want a better seat.

All I am saying to each of you and to myself is – STOP placing your life on hold to do something you really want. Go to that show, take that trip, and eat at that restaurant (so what if you take your book as your companion).

Each of us is a wonderful, unique individual and we should be treating ourselves to those things that we enjoy, give us pleasure, and a sense of enrichment. I encourage you to take that trip, see that exhibit at the museum, Discovery zone or try out that new restaurant.


My next goal is to make reservations to see the ballet, “Don Quixote” – it is my understanding is that in this version when it is Miguel Cervantes the ballet is in black and white; when it is Don Quixote the ballet is in vibrant colors. I looked to see when it would be in New York – well it WON’T; BUT, it will be in Boston so I am seriously considering going to Boston for a long weekend – seeing the ballet, strolling through Faneuil Hall, walking the Freedom Trail and doing everything Bostonian except seeing a Red Sox game.

As Robin Williams said in the movie, “Dead Poets Society” – CARPE DIEM.



Seize the Day and Enjoy It.

No comments:

Post a Comment