Sunday, August 21, 2011

Don't Rush the Season


Is it still summer or is it Christmas? Are you confused by which season we are living in? I know I am.

I went to my local Home Goods store last weekend and what do I find? Not seashells or Tiki torches; but, Halloween costumes, pilgrim statues and pumpkins. Since the July 4th weekend there have been commercials and advertisements regarding “back to school” sales. Wasn’t the last day of school in the Northeast June 24th? If I were a child in school I would be totally upset that one (1) week out of school and already I am being bombarded with what I need to buy for going back to school.

What happened to the time that we relished celebrated and enjoyed the full three months of each season? I can remember as a child not worrying about school until about two (2) weeks before it was supposed to start, then we would go clothes shopping. We never went for school supplies until the afternoon of the first day of school as that day we would receive the list of things we needed.

As for Halloween, it was never thought about until October – then we would start thinking of what costume we needed and two weeks before you would see the candy bags in the supermarkets. Already the supermarkets, drug stores and retail stores have all the bags of candy out and tempting the children; and, maybe you too. Well I am one of those holdouts who will not buy my candy until the week before Halloween for a couple of reasons; (1) I don’t want the temptation in my house, (2) hopefully the prices will drop as Halloween gets closer.

I am not saying that I am one of those individuals that waits until December 24th to do my Christmas shopping; in fact, my shopping is generally finished by the end of September as I tend to shop all year round for people. As I see something that is right for an individual – I buy it and put it away. What I am saying is “don’t rush the season” by putting things out for the next one. I don’t want to think about buying a winter coat when it is 85 degrees outside with 100% humidity – I am thinking of a bathing suit and shorts.

In mid-September I will take down my summer decorations and out will come the harvest decorations; my witches and ghosts will not appear until October 1st and my pilgrims will come out November 1st. The only exception to this rule is that I will put up my Christmas decorations on the weekend following Thanksgiving. I don’t understand people who already have their Christmas tree up by Thanksgiving – WHY? Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday steeped in tradition and truly American – why cheat it of its place of honor as a holiday in our lives?

So here is a cheat sheet for you – here is what you can celebrate for each month within a season:


FALL
September back to school, apple picking, Mums
October Halloween, pumpkin decorating, turning leaves
November turkeys, Thanksgiving, football


WINTER
December Christmas, the first snow, twinkling lights
January New Year, hot chocolate, snowmen
February Love, Valentine’s Day and anything chocolate


SPRING
March St. Patrick’s Day, green beer & bagels, tulips and crocuses
April Easter, eggs, bunnies and chickadees
May Mother’s Day, Memorial Day parades, brunch


SUMMER
June Proms, graduations, end of school
July July 4th, barbecues, fireworks
August Summer, suntan lotion, the beach

Now don’t you feel better? Every month and every season has a purpose and we should enjoy it for it’s fullest whether it is 28, 30 or 31 days long.


ENJOY THE SEASON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment