Sunday, March 27, 2011

Wear Your Color


Have you ever thought of color? Yes, green, yellow, pink, blue, etc. And, now you are saying to yourself where is Toni going with this? Okay bear with me.

I have now lived in my townhouse for 7 years and I decided that it is time to paint the interior again since it hasn’t been done since I moved in. Now, most of my family is saying are you kidding me – I don’t think it needs to be painted; but, those of you who know me the OCD is kicking in. I have very traditional natural colors in my house – I am not looking to go drastic here – but, instead to brighten the palette just a little bit. Maybe because it has been a long, hard winter that the Grasshopper Wing in the living and dining rooms and the Almond Toast www.behr.com in the kitchen and upstairs hallway are just a little too dark. Instead we will lighten the palette with Sherwood Green in the living and dining rooms, Bleeker Beige in the kitchen and Monroe Bisque for the upstairs hallway. The other major change is that the ceilings will no longer be a Stark White; but, instead a Linen White tying in all the colors and giving the house just a bit more warmth.

What I have tried to create is a “haven” a place that as you walk in there is a sense of calmness and relaxation. As you know I work from home so it is important that it is a “stress” free zone. It is not that I am opposed to strong colors; but, strong colors evoke an emotion; for example, many restaurants are red because it increases your appetite while; blue is known as a cool color and will reduce it. Also, for any of you who have either purchased or sold a home you understand that a natural, neutral palette is more pleasing because people can envision their own furniture in the home.

Now what about when you dress? Do you wear color? Living in New York just about every woman wears black, gray, brown or navy blue – the classic “business” colors; but, you can show your personality and your love of color through your blouse, a scarf or jewelry. Is there a specific color which makes you feel good, powerful or happy? My happy colors tend to be orange, lime green or pink; and, thankfully with an olive complexion I am able to carry them all off. Now I would never wear a lime green suit; but, a lime green silk blouse under a navy blue suit really stands out, makes me happy and I feel as if I can conquer the world.

It is spring and time to plant your flowers – what colors will you plant? The outside of my house is yellow with dark green shutters and door – many of my neighbors will plant white or red – not colors that make me feel welcome; instead, I will plant pink and purple impatiens, hydrangeas, tulips and anything else I can find in those color schemes. As I drive up to the house the color palette makes me smile and I continue to do so as I walk up the stairs and open the door.

Start each day by choosing the color that will evoke the person you want to be:
1. Strong and regal wear purple or red,
2. Feminine – pull out that pink, it looks great on every skin tone and for those of us getting older it actually makes us look younger,
3. Aloof – wear a cool blue,
4. Warm and inviting – a light green or beige.

Remember that color plays on our emotions; and, you can control your emotions through your choice of color.

Wear your color, don't let color wear you.

1 comment:

  1. Guess I am strong and regal today!! Purple it is :) I love wearing bright colors especially in winter and dreary weather as it completely lifts my mood. There was a time when I only wore blacks, greys, Navys and systematically I've introduced more brighter and vibrant colors into my wardrobe..as I think it has come to reflect changes in my sense of self!

    ReplyDelete