Sunday, March 13, 2011

Display Your Green


Are you Irish? I am not; but, in New York, Boston and Chicago on March 17th – St. Patrick’s Day everyone is Irish and proud to flaunt this heredity. Parades have been celebrated in various cities since last weekend – my town had their St. Patrick’s Day parade yesterday although the largest and most famous parade will actually happen on St. Patrick’s Day in New York City. This is the only parade that I know of where New York City actually paints the parade route; and, of course it is “green”.

Living in New York there is a parade for every heritage; Italians on Columbus Day, Greek, Puerto Rican, Dominican Day, etc.; but, every one doesn’t claim to be Italian and wears hats or the Italian flag on their face. Same for Puerto Rican day – it is generally the Puerto Ricans who are lining the parade route. Have you ever wondered why everyone wears the green on St. Patrick's Day?

I don’t think that I can answer that for you; but, I think I might be able to give some insight as to why we embrace the Irish spirit. My cousin married into an Irish family – these are hardworking individuals who have a zest for life, family and service. You will notice that throughout the country most of our Policemen and Firemen are of Irish descent and it is a family tradition for each generation to follow in those footsteps.

Thursday everything will be green. When I lived in NYC there was an Irish bar that I passed on my way to work each morning. On St. Patrick’s Day at 7AM in the morning there would be a line of individuals waiting to go into the bar that was already crowded to get their green beer and green bagel. Yes, on St. Patrick’s Day in New York you can get green bagels. There will also be many people who will be at church before they head off to the parade.

I can understand the wearing of the green – if you have ever been to Ireland you will understand why. This country is lush in greenery and that is all you see as the plane goes to land at the airport is a sea of green. Then it is their friendliness and their “gift of gab”. I remember that my cousin’s wife could speak to anyone without hesitation and continue to speak for hours on end. This is a country rich in religion, pagan and survival heritage and they rightfully take pride in this.

And, lastly, it is the food and drink. Now I have to say that the Irish are not necessarily known for their culinary skill although that has been changing over the past few years; but, on Thursday there will be many families who will be eating corn beef and cabbage – at my house (yes, I am hosting St. Patrick’s Day dinner) we will have shepherd’s pie with brown bread (which I will bake) and Irish soda bread. Since I am cooking I have to admit that I do not like corn beef and I do not like the smell of boiled cabbage hence why shepherd’s pie. As for drink let’s not forget Guinness which this year turns 250 years old and Jameson’s for Irish whisky. I have to admit that I have tasted a Guinness and find it heavy although for those of you who are beer drinkers it has less calories than regular beer and I am fond of an Irish coffee.

However you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day – go ahead and show your zest for life, your gift of gab and proudly wear the “green”.

Erin Go Bragh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment