Sunday, December 9, 2012

This week I have been reflecting on the season and how to make it a good holiday for individuals I do not know. Given the economy and Hurricane Sandy it appears that this year more people than ever need our support.
Since mid November I have been trying to do whatever I can with as many organizations that I can support. At my gym, Club Fit they were collecting coats – I went into my closet and felt fine parting with a brown pea coat that I had for the past two years but hadn’t worn that often. They also collected food for the various food pantries in the neighborhood and I was able to go into my kitchen cabinets and give tuna fish, pasta, sauce, cake mix and icing – it is amazing how many individuals go hungry every day especially children. And now, Club Fit is collecting for “Toys for Tots” and I was able to give them a toy and some books for little children – Christmas is for kids and they should see it as a magical time like our children do.
At the office we collected food and necessities for families. I again gave coffee, pasta, tuna fish and diapers. I know that seemed strange; but, they were asking for simple things like toilet paper, paper towels and diapers. Diapers are not cheap – I know I buy them for Callum for when he is at my house; there was a diaper package that he has outgrown that was never opened – so better someone make use of them than my throwing them out.
Each year I go to Barnes & Noble and buy members of my family a calendar for next year – at the same time this year I asked if they were already collecting for books for the schools – they were. I asked them to charge me $20 for books for the children; the woman at the cash register who usually checks me out chose books for the older children. She told me that most often they are forgotten in this program so I was happy to have done that. I love to read and I think there is no greater gift than that of a book. A book can take you to different lands, different cultures or a different time – it lets your imagination grow or it can teach you to cook, relax or to be a better person.
The last thing I did was for our office – every year we do the “Adopt a Family” program; this year we adopted two families. One is a Mother with two daughters ages 3 and 5; and a Mother with a son age 10. Both of these Mothers are in programs which help them to get back on their feet, find a job and a place to live. Most often they are not asking for toys; but, for clothing simple things like pajamas, socks or winter clothes. I cannot just buy for one individual – I had to buy for both families and something for each one in the family. I bought everyone pajamas – including the Mothers. In my family the children always receive new pajamas for Christmas which they wear on New Year’s Eve – many of you have heard me say this, it a tradition from my Mother who felt that you should never let the New Year catch you in something old; hence, the pajamas. I also bought the girls a dress, socks and underwear and a toy. For the boy in the other family I bought him shirts, sweatpants, socks and underwear. Each of the Mother’s also received slippers. Lastly, they had asked for toiletries – what a simple thing that we all take for granted; but, they do not. For each Mother there is shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, soap, toothbrush, floss and something a little luxurious like a nice body lotion. When you feel good about yourself – you project that. What I enjoy most is that this is anonymous – they do not need to know who gave them this – I am just happy to know that I am blessed and fortunate enough to try to make this a special time for someone else. I know that the children in my family will have a good Christmas – I want these children to have a good one and maybe create some memories for them.
So if you can, share with others the meaning of the season. Giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment