Sunday, September 16, 2012

Are You Ready for Some . . .


I LOVE this time of season; but, probably not for the reasons you are thinking.

You are thinking it has to do with the crisp, cool mornings – NOT. It was 45 degrees the other day when I got in the car at 5:45 to drive to work. I had to put on the heat in the car and the seat warmer. Also, if you dress for when you leave in the morning you will roast in the middle of the day when it gets to 85. Also, at night if I don’t have the down blanket on I can’t sleep because I am cold; if I do have the down blanket on I can’t sleep because I am too warm. There is no happy medium.


You are thinking it has to do with apples and pumpkins – NOT. I don’t like apples; not whole, not apple pie or muffins and very little apple juice; I will eat apple sauce with pork. Nor do I eat pumpkins – not pumpkin pie or anything else you can make with pumpkin. I have never carved a pumpkin or decorated one. Having said all that next Sunday we will take the boys to go apple and pumpkin picking; I will make an apple cake and I will choose a nice big orange pumpkin to decorate the steps to my front door.


You are thinking it has to do with pulling out sweaters and cords to wear – NOT. I would prefer to wear less clothing and not more. I am happy just wearing a sleeveless dress with a cotton cardigan to the office. For the weekends I can throw on a tee shirt over a pair of shorts or Capri workout pants and go about doing my errands. Nowadays I have to throw on a long sleeve tee and a jacket to hit the gym. I have to start bringing out my long sleeve shirts to wear under my office suits and I go through the dilemma if I want to throw on a raincoat when I head to the office in the morning.


You are thinking it has to do with my being ready to change my house into its fall wardrobe – NOT. Although I enjoy doing this it is several days of work where every curtain, rug, comforter and accessory is removed, put away and the new ones are brought out for the season. It means that I am rotating my queen size mattress, rolling up and laying down a 6’ x 9’ foot rug in the living room and a 5’ x 7’ rug in the dining room by myself. It is no small task and it takes all my strength, coordination and creativeness to get it done.


Okay, it will tell you what it is – FOOTBALL. Last weekend the professional football season began and I have become devoted to my television on Sunday afternoons. Everyone asks me if I have a team I root for – NO, I don’t. I like the Jets to win because my cousin is a Jets fan; I like the Giants to win because his son is a Giants fan; but, me I want the teams to win that I have chosen for the football pool.

Yes, being in a football pool is my vice. Other people smoke, drink, gamble, etc. – I don’t do any of that except I annually join a football pool and give my requisite $85 or $170 for the season and then do my picks. I just don’t randomly pick – I have a spreadsheet and I analyze who I think is supposed to win given their wins/losses and average points scored. Is it a science – NO – maybe, if I followed who was injured, etc. I would be more accurate; but, I don’t.


Do I want you at my house on Sunday – NO. It is not a pretty site as I will be having verbal tirades with the television yelling at a team if I feel they did not do everything they could to cover the spread so that I could win. You see this is the only time it becomes all about ME and how I am doing in the pool.



So this is a little bit of insight into how I approach autumn – not for the turning of the leaves, the crispness of the mornings or the smell of apple pie. It is for FOOTBALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment