Sunday, September 25, 2011

Take Stock & Celebrate


Have you ever taken a moment to take stock of changes you have made in your life and congratulate yourself on it? We tend not to do that; but, instead to look at what we have not accomplished or what else we need to do.

I want to focus this week’s blog on the changes that I made in my life three (3) years ago and to somewhat “take stock” of those accomplishments.


Three (3) years ago this month I joined a fitness club which is unlike other gyms (Bally’s, New York Sports Club, etc.) – Club Fit Jefferson Valley is owned by a family and they have only two (2) facilities the one I belong to and another in Briarcliff Manor, New York. They provide personal training, group training, classes and a women’s area. There are lockers, showers, a cafeteria and you can also book massages. To that effect, they are an all inclusive club which is only 15 minutes from my home and open 18 hours during the week.

I knew three (3) years ago that in November I would no longer be going to an office to work daily and that I would eventually look for a position that would enable me to work from home. I was overweight and had not been able to really get into a steady workout regimen; I thought it would also be good to invest in working out with a trainer.


I was the heaviest I had been in my entire life – the weight I had gained in the 21 months that I was getting my MBA had not come off; the last six (6) months of my job I had been traveling three (3) days a week. I know that many of you understand what is like to eat at airports or to have obligatory lunches/dinners with clients, customers and vendors. Being able to work from home would take away all those obligations and temptations I would be able to discipline my eating habits and focus on my health.


In the beginning I worked out six (6) to seven (7) days a week and I did begin to see some changes; but, like most individuals I wanted more. I decided that the same way I give my family and friends what they want for their birthdays or holidays – I would give myself what I wanted and needed: a personal trainer. Someone who could guide me, push and encourage me to work to my fullest extent. But, I also continued to take the classes that I enjoyed: kick boxing, aqua aerobics and Zumba.


It took me two (2) years to lose 35 pounds – now I know that was a long time given shows that we see on TV where people have lost over 150 pounds in 17 weeks. But I did not work out eight (8) hours a day every day; I worked out one (1) hour each day and I ate realistically. Having taken that time to lose the weight I am now able to manage and maintain my weight.

Having told you that instead of “patting myself on the back” I instead say, “You need to lose 15 more pounds”. Or I will say “why do I still have wings on my arms”? I should be congratulating myself on reducing my hips by 8 inches or that the clothes in my closet which did not fit a year or two ago are now too big and need to be taken in by the tailor.

Every time I look at my face I no longer see a round face with five (5) chins like my trainer, Jennifer said when she saw my MBA graduation picture. Yes, that was cruel; but, it was the reality check I needed. I do not have to wear long jackets because my hips and my butt are too big or dark clothing so that I appear thinner.

What I am trying to get at is CELEBRATE. Take each small accomplishment and relish in it – don’t think or look at what more you have to do. Embrace the moment. I now enjoy wearing dresses, showing my legs and my arms – I have muscles and when I have to point at something I like seeing that muscle or feeling it.


Today I enjoy the pain I feel the next day when I have been lifting weights. Nothing hurts more than your triceps – have you ever done a lot of tricep exercises with weights and then had to pick up something the next day? OUCH!!??! But all I can think of is maybe one day I will get rid of these wings or maybe they won’t be flapping as much.


It is a long and arduous route for many of us who have not always worked out; but, you can make it part a part of your life. They say it takes six (6) weeks for something to become a habit – and, once you develop that habit you will miss when you cannot do it. I know, for last week I was unable to make any of my personal training sessions due to some work commitments; nor could I go to my aqua aerobics or Zumba class because I had the boys two (2) weekends in a row. But, I went right back – this past week I got my two (2) training sessions in with Jennifer and I was at aqua on Saturday and Zumba on Sunday.

Do something good for yourself and then congratulate yourself. Look at all the positives you do every day; and, dismiss those negative thoughts.


Remember: Take Stock and Celebrate all the Good You Have Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment