Sunday, October 7, 2012

It Has Gotten Chillier

WOW!!! What a difference a day makes. On Friday it was 80 degrees and that evening I was running around opening the bedroom windows because I was extremely warm and could not sleep. Yesterday it was 75; but, it was supposed to rain and the temperature was supposed to drop 30 degrees in the evening. I decided it was time to put away the patio cushions, remove the umbrella and cover the patio furniture. Although last week I moved the spring/summer clothes to the spare bedroom closet and fall/winter into my bedroom closet, I did not do the shoes or my draws – I got that done last night and made sure I had long sleeved shirts, turtlenecks and sweaters at the ready. And, boy did they come in handy this morning – once I took my bed covers off I could feel the chilliness in the air. Long workout pants on; and, a long sleeved shirt in my gym bag to wear after Zumba class.
While making breakfast I noticed that the temperature in the house was 69 – time to turn the heat on, I like the house at 70 degrees – although I would put it at 72 if gas was not so expensive. I have to marvel at how quickly the weather can turn. Have you ever pondered what happens in autumn? On the East coast we tend to get a bit of rain which has the leaves falling and turning colors, it is pitch black when I leave the house at 5:45AM and the temperature has already been 45 degrees at that hour in the morning. Then as I sit and watch the 5 o’clock news I have become aware of where the sun is – it isn’t in the same place as in the summer. The front of my house faces East and it is very apparent by 3PM that we are in fall as it is already dark in the front of the house and the kitchen which faces West is nice and bright.
In a few weeks it will be Halloween – the boys will be over to celebrate it next Saturday since I will be gone the weekend of the 19th and the following weekend they will be in Delaware visiting their grandfather. I have their trick or treat bags for them and they are full with Halloween PJs, (Callum’s glow in the dark), a Halloween shirt and their Godiva candy. I will give it to them when they come over for dinner – I have decided to make Mexican lasagna (use tortillas instead of lasagna noodles), chicken fajitas and for appetizers it will be guacamole, salsa, chips and nachos.
I cannot forget to buy candy corn since Ryan distinctly remembered that I had candy corn in leaf bowls last year. I am looking to make a pumpkin bread for them to take home – it turns out Callum likes it and anytime we find a food that he will eat I make sure that he has plenty of it. There is an apple cake recipe that I found that I think everyone will enjoy and then I will have the bakery make me a yellow cake with chocolate icing, a spider web decoration and Happy Halloween written on it. Do my family dinners seem a little elaborate – probably so. I enjoy entertaining - it is a good opportunity to have the boys understand how to sit at a set table and eat properly.
As the weather changes and gets cool my thoughts go to comfort food; stews, casseroles and to baking. I know that Callum enjoys cake, my family enjoys different bread loaves; pumpkin, cranberry and cinnamon swirl; and, I do make a mean cheese Danish. I have baked since I was in my early teens whether it was cookies, cupcakes or a cake I enjoyed making sweet things that my family would enjoy. In the fall there is nothing better than the smell of apple, cinnamon and spices in your house. Enjoy this time with your family – the color of the leaves and marvel at the beauty that Mother Nature is providing us.
Happy Fall it is here for a very short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment