Sunday, December 18, 2011

Is It Christmas Yet?


This time of year it is supposed to be frenetic – the malls are supposed to be packed, I should see Christmas trees on everyone’s car roof and tons of little kids lined up to see Santa.

According to all the newspapers and television reporters this is turning out to be a banner year for holiday shopping? Where???? I haven’t seen it here in New York? Or do I shop at the wrong time? Okay, granted I finished my Christmas shopping by Halloween and I did 99% of it on line so I would not have to deal with the crowds; but, there is the occasional item that you have to pick up at a store.

For example, we did “Adopt-a-Family” at work for the holidays. We received information regarding our family and what they needed. A couple of Fridays ago after my workout I went to Kohl’s – it was 9:15 in the morning and in the parking lot I could count the number of cars that were there. I quickly did my shopping running down the list of what each child needed in clothes and then I added a toy; for the mother bathrobe, pajamas, slippers and then a hat, glove and scarf set. Now to checkout – I usually dread checking out at Kohl’s because there is always a line; BUT, “what to my wondering eyes do I see” an empty checkout line. I was the only individual on the line. As my niece would say, “WOO HOO”.

But, this is what I mean – Kohl’s has decent prices, they were running a sale; AND, I also had coupons which were sent to everyone within this store’s radius to use. I have been there in previous years for holiday shopping and it has been a ZOO. The line is unbelievable and you can stand in it for 30 to 45 minutes to pay – which I do not think is worth it. So what is going on this year?



Last week I got a small sense of crowds and lines when I went to Pier 1 to pick up some holiday forest potpourri and candles that Siobhan wanted for the house, we were having the family and friends annual Holiday party. There was a small line (3 people ahead of me) at Pier 1 for checking out and the store clerks were quite busy with customer inquiries – that was the first that I had seen crowds and a line.

I was in Home Depot about 2 weeks ago and again I was able to find what I needed and to go to the Self Service checkout and walk out in minutes – but, once more I did this during the week and during the morning. I have noticed that as I drive by on Saturday and Sundays they seem pretty full.

Another parking lot that has been very full is Barnes & Noble. I have been there the last couple of Saturday and Sunday mornings. I usually do two (2) things while I am there – look for a book (James Patterson’s “The Christmas Wedding” was my latest purchase) and I will treat myself to a bagel and a venti non-fat latte after my hour workout. The parking lot there is a mess – then you have people cutting you off. Is everyone getting a Nook for Christmas? Since when have bookstores become so popular??


And finally what to me is a sign of the season is everyone who has gone to purchase or cut down their Christmas tree. Usually it starts on Thanksgiving weekend when I notice the tree on the roof of people’s cars; but, honestly this year I can count on one hand the amount of cars I have seen with trees. Are people no longer putting trees up for Christmas? Has it been too warm to think about cutting one down or selecting one from a lot to take home? With the temperature hovering around the high 50’s/low 60’s I can understand that a Christmas tree, hot chocolate with marshmallows and “A Christmas Story” on television just doesn’t feel right. We are supposed to have cooler weather for the weekend – I am just wondering if this last week before Christmas everyone will go into panic mode?

The weather should have nothing to do with how we feel for the season. This is a time of giving, of wishing each other well and of contemplating who we are and what we have done. I lived in Puerto Rico for six years and even without snow Christmas was a very sacred and celebrated holiday.

I hope that the Broadcasters and newspapers are correct and that people will enjoy a better time this holiday season. Perhaps we have come to realize that our actions and what we feel in our hearts is greater than any gift we can give. At the same time, don’t lose the traditions that make the holiday yours and your families.




To all of you who read this blog; Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas and Happy Kwanzaa. May the riches of the season be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment